Here are some of the things you may wish to consider when making or amending a will.

Types of Gift

A pecuniary gift – is a gift of a specified sum of money. Bear in mind that because of inflation the value of this gift can be affected over time.

A residuary gift – is where you set aside a portion or all of your remaining estate, known as the residue (what is left over after the payment of debts, funeral expenses, administration costs, and all the specific and other gifts have been paid) to be divided between named beneficiaries.

A specialist advisor

We recommend that you use a specialist legal advisor when making or updating a Will. Before your appointment it can be very useful to make two lists:

  • Your assets (property, shares, valuable objects)
  • People and causes you wish to leave something to.

Your specialist legal advisor may give you their own form to fill in prior to your meeting. To find a qualified solicitor in your area you can contact The Law Society at

Your executors

Before seeing a specialist advisor you may wish to consider who your executor(s) will be. Your executor(s) are responsible for carrying out your wishes as written into your Will – you can choose up to four. Family members, friends or professional advisors (e.g. solicitor or accountant) can all be your executor(s).

Wording for your Will

If you decide to remember us in your Will, you may find the wording in the document below helpful when speaking with your professional legal advisor.

For a specific sum or share of residue:

“I give the sum of £ (or specify share of residue) to the Guy’s & St Thomas’ Kidney Patients’ Association of Renal Offices, 6th Floor Borough Wing, Guy’s Hospital, Great Maze Pond, London, SE1 9RT (registered charity number 285086) for its general purposes and I declare that the receipt of the honorary treasurer or other proper officer of the said Guy’s & St Thomas’ Kidney Patients’ Association for the time being shall be a complete discharge to my executor.”

Thank you for considering leaving a gift to the KPA in your Will.